In an effort to promote accountability, transparency, and consumer choice, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires health plans offered through the Health Insurance Marketplaces to conduct Qualified Health Plan (QHP) Enrollee Experience Surveys. Beginning with the 2016 national implementation of the survey, Health Insurance Marketplace websites will report survey results to assist consumers in selecting a health plan.
UMass Medical School is one of ten vendors nationally, and the only one in New England, certified by CMS to conduct the QHP Enrollee Experience Survey.
About the QHP Survey
The QHP Enrollee Survey involves mail, online, and telephone modes of data collection for each QHP product. UMass Medical School will submit the data collected directly to the QHP Enrollee Survey website as required by CMS, and will also provide a data file to the QHP issuer for each product along with an optional report of the survey results in an easy-to-read format.
The UMass Medical School Difference
UMass Medical School conducts health care surveys on behalf of federal and state agencies, nonprofit organizations, health plans, academic institutions, and medical practices. These clients work with us because:
- Our experience, resources, and expertise allow us to meet or exceed all CMS requirements.
- We are experienced in measuring quality of care and the effects of changes in the health care system on patients, consumers, providers, and the overall delivery system.
- We have specific experience conducting surveys with vulnerable and high-risk patient populations.
- Our survey work traditionally demonstrates high response rates.
Our Survey Experience
The QHP Enrollee Experience Surveys are largely based on Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) surveys and principles, so it is critical that survey vendors have extensive CAHPS experience. We are also certified by the NCQA (National Committee for Quality Assurance) to administer the CAHPS Patient-Centered Medical Home survey. Our CAHPS survey work includes:
- Patient-Centered Medical Home CAHPS surveys
- Health plan-specific CAHPS surveys
- Hospital CAHPS (HCAHPS) surveys
These case studies highlight some of our work: