UMass Medical School’s Commonwealth Medicine division has more than 30 years of successful experience operating in the Medicaid health care ecosystem. We deliver innovative, evidenced-based strategies and solutions to health plans, long-term services and supports (LTSS), and behavioral health (BH) organizations, helping address their most pressing clinical, operational and technology challenges, and improving their capacity to meet the needs of socially, clinically and financially at-risk populations.
Learn how our patient-centered, community-based methodologies will support your organization’s work in the following TA Domains:
- Consumer Engagement
- Flexible Services
- Health Information Technology
- Performance Improvement
- Population Health
- Workforce Training
Solutions in Consumer Engagement
Strategies, skills and technology for patient-centered care
- Member outreach and contact center
Our contact center support and training improve an organization’s efficiency at handling patient welcome calls, conducting educational outreach and health risk assessments, and day-to-day communications.
- Best practices
We improve staff competence and confidence in motivational interviewing techniques and multi-mode communications.
- Cultural competency training
This valuable training provides clinicians and staff members with insight and understanding of members’ needs and preferences, helping them deliver services in a culturally appropriate manner. (top)
Solutions in Flexible Services
Services and programs focused on housing and food insecurity supports
- Project management
We help team members acquire the skills and tools they need to create plans, increase accountability, and work together toward their shared goals.
- Business process design
Our experts help develop clear, legally sound policies and workflows that improve an organization’s overall efficiency and its capacity to deliver value to its various stakeholders.
- Financial model development and payment processes
Our experienced team provides guidance on developing financial models and payment processes that meet the needs of providers and patients, while strengthening the organization itself. (top)
Solutions in Health Information Technology
Secure technology for data storage and exchange
- Work flow design and data-capture methodologies
Our insight and expertise support organizations in the priorities of loading, structuring and sharing data from multiple sources, while maintaining regulatory compliance and confidentiality.
- Analysis and reporting
We provide predictive, prescriptive and evaluative analytics, transforming data from various sources into timely, relevant and actionable information to guide an organization in delivering on its mission. (top)
Solutions in Performance Improvement
Efficient models of care, especially for LTSS and BH services
- Workflow evaluation and analysis
Our evaluations determine how well your programs are working and why, revealing opportunities to improve care, enhance efficiency, and reduce costs—or validate your current course of action.
- Business process and practice transformation
We assist teams to rapidly transform care delivery under rapidly evolving payment models, including improving performance on quality metrics, enhancing operations, and optimizing health information technology.
- Best practices
As the independent living movement continues to advance, we help organizations confidently take steps to ensure individuals with disabilities and/or who have behavioral health diagnoses receive the right service, in the right setting, and at the right time. (top)
Solutions in Population Health
Data analytics, risk stratification, policy analysis and models of care
- Health outcome and quality measure analysis
Our experts assimilate disparate data sets into common patient-centric data schemas and utilize analytic approaches, including cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness analyses, to measure the effect of transformation initiatives on healthcare quality, utilization and costs.
- Program operations design and improvement
Our team guides organizations through every aspect of design and implementation, including planning, finance, staffing and management, improving results from existing programs and maximizing the success of new programs.
- Claims-based measures of social determinants of health
We turn claims data—including fields such as race, ethnicity, Medicaid eligibility and zip codes—into actionable insights, helping organizations deliver health services and programs that enhance health outcomes and the patient experience.
- Behavioral health integration
Our experts provide strategies for medical and mental health care to be delivered side-by-side in an integrated, collaborative fashion, improving quality of care and outcomes for patients. (top)
Solutions in Workforce Training
Developing skills and values for health human service professionals
- Online and in-person training
We draw on the full range of teaching models, modes and technology to deliver convenient training opportunities for every learning style and every budget.
- Curriculum development
Our customized curriculums are designed for the specialized needs of social workers, community health workers, and other direct care workers, and include topics such as evaluation and treatment of youth and adults with complex emotional and behavioral challenges.
- Staff and supervisor competency development
We customize training programs designed to support effective communications, performance management and evaluations, and improve skills for effective coaching and feedback techniques. (top)
The following are just a few of many Commonwealth Medicine projects that have helped health plans, LTSS and BH organizations improve their capacity to serve their most at-risk populations. Please contact us to learn more.
- Customized Data Solution (Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs) – The overall goal of this project was to develop and distribute a customized data solution to integrate and analyze longitudinal home- and community-based services data for purposes of policy development, operational analysis, and program quality and integrity, providing a first-time view of client profiles and costs across the spectrum of clinical and non-clinical home- and community-based services for the elderly.
- Opioid Overdoses Among High Risk MassHealth members: Health Care Cost, Service Utilization and Risk Factor Analysis (MassHealth Office of Behavioral Health) – By conducting an extensive analysis of Medicaid costs and utilization claims related to fatal and non-fatal opioid overdoses for three high-risk populations—those who experienced homelessness, were unstably housed, and justice-involved MassHealth members—this project provided MassHealth with valuable insight to help support planning and providing care under the community partner ACO model.
- Identifying Diabetes Patients and Linking with Underutilized Support to Improve Care (UMass Memorial ACO) – This project established an EPIC Reporting Workbench dashboard to identify ACO patients with gaps in diabetes care; proactively engage patients to assess barriers and facilitate guideline-concordant care; and monitor patient population longitudinally.